Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bathroom Floor Tiles

This morning while I was finishing up painting my bathroom I suddenly remembered one of my favorite drunk activities...

Pretty much every night over the past 7 years, when I wasn't out of town working, I ended my night in the bathroom, brushing my teeth and using the toilet. This isn't really anything unusual, I don't think. I'm sure many of you do the same. The only difference with this picture is that I was pretty much always quite intoxicated.

My wife always had an issue with there being "splash-age" on or around the toilet bowl or seat, so I had pretty much been conditioned to sit when I had to do my business. While sitting there, my mind all fuzzy and buzzin', I developed the oddest habit. I would count the floor tiles. I would start from the door and count them long ways, across the floor longways, to the wall where I sat on my throne. There are 16 one foot tiles and then there are 8 going across from the tub to the counters.

Odd habit, huh? Yeah, I told ya so. Funny what the mind, diseased with alcohol, can conjure up to occupy itself while sitting in the most usual of places. And the funny thing is that it took me bending over to wipe a spot of paint up from these tiles to remember it this morning.