Saturday, March 20, 2010

Three Weeks

Ah, Saturday night. Who knew television was so boring on Saturday nights. I guess I'm just not used to sitting here sober without stuff to watch on TiVo. It was three weeks ago tonight that I took my last drink. Wow, so much has happened in three weeks. It feels like it's been three months.

Three weeks ago tonight I felt like my life was falling apart. I thought then, and for days afterward, that I'd never bounce back. I just knew things would never be the same. Well, guess what? Things aren't the same, but they are shaping up to be alright. I guess Jenny's mantra of "we're going to be alright" is actually true.

Signing those divorce papers yesterday was pretty sobering in itself. Many times over the past few years I've thought about "what it would be like for us to be divorced", but never actually thought it would happen. Sitting there across the table from her while her lawyer explained everything was wild. I just kept thinking how unreal it seemed. I couldn't believe we had come to "that point". The evening before, and even immediately before when we met for lunch before the lawyer appointment, I asked her if this was what she really wanted to do. Even though I knew the answer before I asked, I still felt like I needed to ask. Well, we went on and signed the papers. I put them on the backseat of my car, where they remain still, and she left for her drive back home to Tennessee.

I've tried to keep busy this weekend. I went out and met with a friend for coffee today and had a really nice time. I painted the mailbox post and did some light cleaning around the house. Tonight I grilled out burgers and the kids, and one of my daughter's friends, and I had a nice dinner. Tonight I'm looking forward to starting a new book. Stephen King's newest, Under the Dome. My friend let me borrow it.

I've not been to AA since Tuesday, but I'm honestly not really missing it. I'm not sure what that really means, but I do know that I'm not wanting to drink. The temptation is still non existent. Monday morning I have to head out of town for the first time since I returned from Florida on 2/25. You know, the fateful day I learned Jenny had left me. I'm not really looking forward to having to work out of town, but it's part of the job. I better get back at it. Fortunately she'll be here to help me with the kids while I'm gone. It's still up in the air as to how long she'll be living here with us. But she's welcome as long as she'd like.

Well, that's about it for tonight. More later...