Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Premature Thoughts?

This evening my, soon to be ex, wife and I took the kids out to dinner. Daughter's boyfriend joined us and we had a nice meal and time together. It was just like the good old days, only everyone was sober and no one was bitching at each other. It was great, and quite filling. I had a taco filled with beef brisket. Quite delicious.

Today I've been busy with work and I attended my daily AA Meeting. It was pretty good, but not the best I've been to. Everything just seemed kinda disorganized. I found myself, for the first time, watching the clock and waiting for it to be over.

On my way home from the meeting I spoke with a good buddy from Tennessee and caught him up on all that's been going on. I told him how, (and this very well may be a dangerous statement on my part), I've began to question if I'm actually really an alcoholic. While it's true I've been a nearly daily drinker for the past 5 years, give or take, it's only been over the past two years that I've drank more than just a few each day. And only over the past year that I've drank heavily. I don't know. It's certain that I have/had a problem, it's just that I have had zero desire to drink. Maybe it's just the stress of the divorce, who knows.

Okay, maybe saying or thinking this is a bit premature on my part, but I'm just putting it out there. I'm certainly not going to test my theory. It's just a thought...

Everything continues to go GREAT with the wife. We're getting along just fine. Who would have thought we could be such good friends? I guess the absence of booze and the knowledge that it'll all be over soon has been a stress reliever. We're living here together, talking, working on financial stuff, making plans, etc and it's all good.

Then again it's only been three days. Maybe, like the lack of desire for booze, I'm speaking too soon...