Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day Three...

Hello, I'm Chuck and I'm an alcoholic.

Well, now...I've been blogging off and on for quite a few years. Since July of 2004 to be exact and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've written a blog post during the evening hours when I've been sober. You see I'm Chuck, and although I now recognize that I'm an alcoholic, I can honestly say that I'm sitting here having just eaten a delicious Mom cooked meal, and I'm typing stone cold sober. And it feels damn good! Yes, I'm Chuck the alcoholic, but I'm also Sober Guy.

And I understand there are millions of us sober guys out there right now. Most take it for granted. Most never think twice because its the only way they know how to be. For many the closest they are knowingly near an alcoholic is when they're watching an actor play one on television or in a movie. I've lived with one for the better part of five years, and that would be me. Lived with two actually, but that's a story for another day.

I've been challenged by my therapist to keep a journal about my adventure into sobriety. When she presented this challenge I responded with the first thing that came to mind, "can I blog about it"? Yeah, I've had the itch to blog again for a while. I can't think of a better way to display my sincerity and hopefully find some accountability along the way.

Today is day three. It ain't been easy.