Saturday, March 6, 2010

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; The courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

I've been saying this prayer each day. We say it at the start of our AA Meetings. It wasn't until this morning that the words actually have began to make sense.

There is definitely so much I can't change. Things that I've done in the past. Mistakes I've made. People I've hurt. There's nothing I can do about that. Nothing. I have to learn to accept this truth.

But there are many things I can change if I have the courage. Parts of my life that I can, with help, direct in the right direction. It may seem hard now, but one day...if I try...I can turn out okay.

I need guidance, education and support to know the difference between the two.

God grant me.